Monday, June 30, 2014

Half Way There

Yep, that's right, 10 weeks to go until 'go time'.  It's rather hard to believe that, first, the training plan is half done, and second, race day is now less than 10 weeks away.  Yes...nerves have started to kick in a bit thinking about it.  Little stuff, that I probably shouldn't worry about, is making me question a lot of my raceday prep.  Tire repairs levers, how many tubes to carry, how many to keep in Special Needs, how much fluid and nutrition to pack, wrenches to make any emergent adjustments.....that kind of stuff.  I suppose once I put it down on paper it will all make sense....I hope.

Training is going pretty good.  Tuesday and Thursday mornings are swim mornings, so up at 4:30 on those days.  My swim training is going well, as I've been maintain a 1:40 - 1:44 per hundred yard average in the pool.  I 4000 yard time trial last week end up being 1:10.  So I am guestimating at this point, with the addition of the wetsuit, and probable drafting (hopefully) I think my IMWI swim of 2.4 miles will be about 1:05 to 1:10, depending on how the day goes.  I really do not want to blow out in the swim, as it's a long day.  I do think I could be about an hour, or even under a hour if I really went for it.....but that's poor strategy for the day. 

This past Saturday I had a nice 60 mile ride which felt pretty good.  I did a nice brick run off of it, and was going WAY to fast.  For some reason, my legs are crazy fast when I do a brick run.  Not a bad thing, just something to be aware of.

Running, things are going pretty well there too.  Last Sunday, I ran 13.1 miles (was supposed to do 12), and I PR'd.....best time ever. 

I have missed a couple workouts here and there, the smaller onces, which I'm okay with.  I have officially gone down to two swims per week, as I just wasn't finding the benefit of the third swim.  A bit more rest is certainly worth it.

Injuries....about the only thing is left foot Extensor Tendonitis which flares up after my long Sunday runs.  Ice has done wonders, and my training plan allows for essentially three days until my next run, so everything seems in sync.  Hopefully the injury bug stays away. 

Next up, more training day ahead.  Door County Half is coming up in three weeks.  My wife is getting anxious for her taper to begin, but pretty normal there.  She has crushed her training plan, and assuming she does okay in the swim, she is going to have a very very good day in Door County.  I believe the plan is to do the bike and run together, which will be fun.  The swim, I'm still pondering jumping into the elite way and seeing how fast i can do the course with no one else in front of me to dodge around.  Unfortunately, my T1 will be excessively long as I way for my wife, but a little chilling, and we'll get on the bike and go from there.  As much as I want to PR myself, which I think I can improve on last years race, I'm more excited for my wife and finishing together....I think that will be an incredible experience.   People that aren't into the sport of Tri's simply do not understand the time, effort, emotion that goes into this.  Absolutely it is a physical strain, but the mental and emotional aspects are equally important.  This will be a huge day for her....can't wait!   Also will have a massive Donkey contingent tat weekend, so it should be incredible to cheer everyone on, both Saturday and Sunday. 

Well summer is offically upon us...enjoy, God Bless and Happy 4th of July!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment