Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Let's Do This!

And so it begins.....the next 'chapter' in my life.  I recall walking down a hallway with a coworker several years ago when I began doing Sprint Triathlons and stating I had absolutely ZERO intention to ever do a Full Ironman...afterall, that was just pure craziness.  Well after witnessing last year's (2012) IMWI event, I knew my heart had changed.  The stars weren't aligned last year to make it happen, and in hindsight, that WAS the best thing.  But this year...yep, the stars are where they need to be, so let's pull the trigger on this.

This year's IMWI, my wife and I volunteered in the Transition Bag Drop, which took place on Saturday from 10-3.  I wanted to see what the transition looked like, how things were organized, just to get a feel for things.  Incredible logistics for this race.  It was also a great opportunity to talk with many of the racers and help calm their fears a bit, just by providing them a mental picture of what the transition 'flow' was going to be.  That being said, it was also a great opportunity to recall faces come race day!

Sunday rolls around and the racers do their thing...as I continue to dream of 2014.....and then I wake up early Monday morning, and it was time to head to Monona Terrace to get registered.

My wife kept me company, and I can honestly say she is my biggest fan and my source for passion.  That woman is so strong, I can feel her love every breath I take. 

So in the conference room we go, up to a table and begin the registration process.  "I have to ask you this question, 'Do you really want to do this'?" inquired the awesome volunteer.  HOLY SMOKES....I'm at the alter again.  My reply:  "I do!".  Couldn't help it.  Followed by, "I'm tired of being half crazy, time to be totally crazy!", which garnished several smiles from others around us.  It was done...confirmation email was sent.  IMWI 2014.....IT'S ON!

The rest of the day was spent packing up the camper and heading back home, which was amazingly early in the day.  So...with the kids still in school, the Mrs. and I took advantage of the time and got out on the bikes for a nice 20 mile spin.  It was HOT out, but I was full of energy. 

I look forward to the next year of training and, frankly, getting my health back in order.  I've been slacking the past year, and it all changes now.  I would like to lose about 30 pounds in the process and get my fitness level back to peak.  I will be done.  I CAN do this. 

I look forward to continuing the documentation of my journey, the peaks and valleys that are sure to come, with the hopes of recalling everything along the way.  Stay tuned!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment