Monday, September 23, 2013

The Highs and Lows of a Weekend

It's another Monday.....and the Packers lost yesterday.  Yes, I'm one of 'those guys', who follow each and every play the Packers.  There is always something a bit 'off' when the Packers lose.

Anywhooooo.  The weekend was....interesting shall we say.  Unfortunately.....or perhaps fortunately, my weekend started a bit early, as one of my son's became ill, so I had the afternoon off, home with him.  This provided a great opportunity to get on the bike for a couple hours via the trainer. 

I know it's only September and the weather is still decent, but my wife and I both have discovered that getting outside to bike with younger children just doesn't work for us.  So...we have the trainer.  I cannot recommend this piece of equipment enough to each and every person that does triathlon, or cycling in general.  The hours that are logged here are priceless, and in turn allow for a solid base of biking leading into next season. 

Saturday was a family day, full of football and home projects, which didn't allow for a workout.  I was bummed about this, but sometimes I need to just put it aside, and deal with the project at hand. 

Sunday though, we had a great Church service, with a well known singer by the name of Peter Eide.  It was very enlightning, and I truly appreciate a good service.  Sticking with our Sunday routine, we all get out to the YMCA, and we did the swim switch....me and the boys while my wife swam and vice versa.

I felt better in the pool yesterday, so things are coming together.  My arms we doing well, more lively.  My breathing....mehhh, not so good.  Things felt tight, and each breath felt uncoordinated.  This happens everyonce in awhile, so I'm not concerned about it.  Swimming is my gig, so it will be fine.  Stay the course, monitor my stroke count per lap (16-18 is my happy place) and keep working it.

Things coming up:  I have no schedules races in the near future....which I'm okay with.  Last year, I did a marathon in May, so my training was very run focused for a several months prior.  My running vastly improved, but my biking turned for the worse.  So I'm really focusing on staying balanced with my workouts, seeking improvement in perceived exertion, and listening to my body.  This is the time build my core and my base......and not get to crazy worried about race specific type training.  There will be plenty of that in 2014. 

I still struggle with the idea that I actually signed up for IMWI.  Almost, an 'awe shucks' type of feel to it.  One of my concerns continues to be my wife and kids on race day.  There is a boat load of logistics she will need to navigate through for the day.  Food, tired kids, keeping track of me (she still is my biggest fan), as well as any other friends and relatives that may be around.  She claims she isn't worried about it, but I can't ignore it.  I want them to be safe and happy...first and foremost.  We have some great Donkey friends that will be there as well, who have done IMWI a couple times.  I am willing to bet they are going to pitch in and help as well....just like they always do.  Thank you all in advance. 

Well anyhow.....stay the course, and get over the humps of a weird weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment